Contact Us to Learn More
Ultrasound Needle Guides in Regional Anesthesia
There are many proven clinical benefits to clinicians utilizing needle guides for nerve blocks and other regional anesthesia procedures:
Improved needle visualization | Keeps the needle tip within the scan plane 1,2,3
Reduced procedure time | Helps reduce time for successful needle placement 1,2,3,4
Increased patient safety | Helps reduce inadvertent punctures to adjacent structures for enhanced patient safety 2
Improved physician satisfaction | Contributes to staff satisfaction 4
Needle guidance is applicable to a wide range of clinical needs within regional anesthesia:
- Upper extremity nerve block: Brachial plexus, 5,6 Interscalene, 7,4 Supraclavicular4
- Truncal and cutaneous nerve block: Transverse abdominis 8,5
- Lower extremity nerve block: Femoral,6,9 Rectus sheath, 5 Sciatic, 6,10 Spinal, 11 Thoracic paravertebral 12
- Superficial applications: Varicose vein laser therapy 6
CIVCO's disposable needle guides are compatible with most ultrasound systems and attach directly to your transducer via a custom-designed, reusable bracket.
Infiniti Plus needle guidance system is an effective tool used to improve efficiency and outcomes for in-plane (IP) ultrasound-guided nerve blocks and central line placement.
View Infiniti Plus Needle Guides
1. Gupta R, Lane J, Allen B, Shi Y, Schildcrout J. "Improving Needle Visualization by Novice Residents During an In-Plane Ultrasound Nerve Block Simulation Using an In-Plane Multi-Angle Needle Guide." Pain Medicine. 14.10 (2013): 1600-1607.
2. Whittaker S, Lethbridge G, Kim C, Keon Z, Ng I. "An Ultrasound Needle
Insertion Guide in a Porcine Phantom Model." Journal of the Association of Anaesthetlists of Great Britian and Ireland - Anaesthesia. 68.8 (2013): 826-829.
3. Maecken T, Heite L, Wolf B, Zahn PK, Lita RJ. "Ultrasound-guided catheterisation of the subclavian vein: freehand vs needle-guided technique." Journal of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland - Anaesthesia. 2015 Nov;70(11): 1242-9.
4. Bryan, G, MD; Vydyanathan, A, MD; Nair, S, MD; Shilian, N; Shaparin, N, MD; Shetty, N; . Anethesiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center. "A Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Brachial Plexus Blockade Performed Using Device Assisted Needle-Guidance vs Standard Approach." American Society of Regional
Anesthesia Conference (March 2016).
5. Katsuta, S, MD. Department of Anesthesiology, Shimonoseki Medical Center, Yamaguchi, Japan. "A Safe and Effective Block Using Infiniti Plus Needle Guide - Ultrasound-Guided Rectus Sheath Block and Brachial Plexus Block." Clinical Case Study (2014).
6. Furukawa, N. MD. Department of Anesthesiology, Nikko Medical Center, Dokkyo Medical University, Nikko City, Japan. "Value of the Infiniti Needle Guide for Inexperienced Persons." Clinical Case Study (2014).
7. Parras, T*, Salota, V**. *Consultant Anaesthetist, St.
George's Hospital, London United Kingdom, **SPR Anaesthetist,
King's College Hospital, London United Kingdom. "Ultrasound Needle Guides, An Effective Tool in Nerve Blocks." Spanish Society of Regional Anesthesia (2014).
8. Kim C, Ratnayake M, Lethbridge G, Ng I (2014) "Comparing the Use of a Needle Guidance Device vs. Free-hand Technique in Performing Ultrasound- Guided TAP Blocks: A Prospective Randomised
Trial." J Anesth Clin Res 5:429. doi: 10.4172/2155-6148.1000429
9. Babazade R., MD; Turan A., MD; Nadar V., MD; CecilJ., MD; Elsharkawy H., MD, MSc; Wael ASE., MD, Soliman LM., MD; Seif J., MD; GeorgeJ., MD; Maheshwari K., MD, Farag E., MD; Zimmerman NM., MS; Sessler DI., MD. Department of Outcomes Research, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH. "Effect of Infiniti Plus Needle Guidance on Performing Ultrasound Guided Femoral Nerve Block." American Society of Regional Anesthesia
Conference (May 2015).
10. Wenzel T. Oberarzt Anesthesia, University of Griefswald,
Germany. "Postoperative Distal Sciatic Nerve Block." Clinical Case Study
11. Elsharkawy, H, MD, M.Sc , Kolli, S, MD, Kalagara, H, MD and Soliman, ML, MD. Department of Outcomes Research, Cleveland Clinic,
Cleveland, OH. "Needle Guidance Improved the Visualization of the Needle in Real Time Ultrasound Guided Spinal Anesthesia." American Society of Regional Anesthesia Conference (May 2014).
12. Sato, M, MD, Sasakawa, T, MD. Resuscitology Section, Department of Anesthesiology, Asahikawa Medical University, Hokkaido, Japan. "Value of the Infiniti Plus Needle Guide for Thoracic Paravertebral Blocks." Clinical Case Study (2014).