Can a Probe Cover Simplify Your Workflow for Ultrasound Guided Procedures?
When ultrasound is used for point-of-care needle guided procedures, including vascular access or regional anesthesia, it is recommended by the FDA and the CDC that a single-use, disposable probe cover be used on the ultrasound probe for each procedure.
“Probes used in semi-critical applications should be sterilized between uses whenever feasible, but high-level disinfection is minimally acceptable. In addition, the use of a sheath is recommended for every semi-critical use of the probe.”1
“This guideline proposes use of a new condom/probe cover for the probe for each patient, and because condoms/probe covers can fail, the probe also should be high-level disinfected.”2
When considering a probe cover for point-of-care procedures, there are several criteria one could consider:
- Quality and type of material: ease of use, patient comfort, latex vs. non-latex, effective viral barrier, etc.
- Configuration on probe: size, length, width
- Sterile vs. non-sterile
- Deployment and removal of cover: workflow, set-up and clean-up time
Some criteria, such as material type and sterility, are important depending on the patient and/or procedure, and other probe cover features provide direct benefits to the clinician. For point-of-care procedures specifically, simplified operational workflow and decreased set-up and clean-up time are valuable benefits to a busy healthcare professional.
CIVCO Medical Solutions, a leader in infection control, has recently launched a new probe cover technology to provide clinicians these added benefits. Intuit™ probe covers are now available with PEELSafe Advantage™, a gel-free adhesive pad that applies directly to the ultrasound probe.
The elimination of gel inside the probe cover:
- Streamlines workflow and saves time by eliminating a common step in procedure set-up
- Simplifies clean-up – no need to remove gel or adhesive from the ultrasound probe, and no residue will remain on the probe
- Provides distortion-free imaging while scanning
The Intuit probe covers with PEELSafe Advantage continue to provide the quality customers trust from CIVCO:
- Sterile, viral barrier
- Intuitive design
- Easy to use
Intuit probe covers with PEELSafe Advantage are offered in two user-friendly configurations: Intuit Roll™ and Intuit SnapFIT™. Both are made with our premium CIV-Flex™ material, which is not made with natural rubber latex.
Deploying a probe cover with the new PEELSafe Advantage technology is easy and intuitive, as demonstrated with the Intuit Roll:
- Peel away the liner to expose the PEELSafe Advantage adhesive pad.
- Place the ultrasound probe face directly on the adhesive pad.
- Pull the probe cover’s tab perpendicular to the face of the ultrasound probe to deploy.
- An elastic band will automatically deploy as the probe cover unrolls. Clinician may place additional bands if needed.
- Reposition the probe cover to easily eliminate wrinkles and remove air bubbles from the face of the ultrasound probe.
To view the entire probe cover workflow video:
When the procedure is complete, simply peel the cover off to reveal a gel-free, residue-free ultrasound probe.
Intuit probe covers with PEELSafe Advantage give users unique value in time savings and improved workflow while providing a sterile viral barrier to protect patients and clinicians. To learn whether CIVCO’s Intuit probe covers with PEELSafe Advantage will benefit your facility, call your Customer Consultant at 800-445-6741.
- W Rutala, David and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC) “CDC Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities” 2008